Horse Cave Stories
Stop #4 The Opera House
Horse Cave Cellphone Walking Tour
270-854-3054

Listen to the Cellphone AudioAnn Matera  for Stop #4 spoken by Ann Matera, City Clerk, City of Horse Cave

Text
Click to Read the Tour Script for
Stop #4

Stop #4 The Opera House - Narrator: Ann Matera

This is the Main Street side to Kentucky Repertory Theatre. (The lobby is around back.) The presence of a world-class theatre in the tiny town of Horse Cave is a tribute to the community's vision. Local residents Tom Chaney and Bill Austin and their friend Warren Hammack dreamed of creating a professional theatre in Horse Cave. The community embraced the idea and citizens made pledges to secure credit from a local bank to purchase and refurbish two buildings. Built in 1911 by Dr. Harry B. Thomas, this two-story brick commercial building consists of two separate buildings tied together by a single cornice. Known as the Opera House, it was the venue for traveling vaudeville acts in the early 1900's and a theatre for silent films in the 1920's. After decades as a commercial building, it began its new life as part of Kentucky Repertory Theatre. Local citizens provided sweat equity. Girl Scouts scraped plaster from brick walls and cleaned seats rescued from another theater before the opening production of Candida in 1977.

Next Stop


Street Sign








Oral Histories about
"The Opera House "

Tom Chaney
Tom Chaney,
Storyteller

"History of the buildings "


"Theatre of, by, and for the community"


"Girls Scouts to the rescue"


"Theatre education programs"


Robert Brock
Robert Brock,
Former
Artistic Director,
Kentucky Repertory Theatre

"Why equity?"


"Selecting a season"


"An ongoing mission"


"Youth productions"


Robert Stone

Robert Stone,
Patron,
Kentucky Repertory Theatre

"Youth programs"



  Preserve America   City of Horse Cave   Horse Cave Development Corporation  Hart County Tourism Kentucky Humanities Council   Kentucky Arts Council    National Endowment for the Arts   Kentucky Tourism KY Historical Society